10 films for January



Hi,
This blog entry is about 10 films to definitely look out for in the month of January. The films will have huge hype and/or academy award buzz behind them. I will personally try and watch all of these, some more than once. The 10 films won’t be in a specific order but are all going to be good (HOPEFULLY!!!).
But here are some honourable mentions that didn’t quite make the cut for the ten:

o Taken 3 - Although I haven't seen the second instalment, I still have hope for this as the trailer raises hopes. Also Liam Neeson is a good actor and has crafted his own genre of film.

o Kingsman: The Secret Service - Some good cast members in Colin Firth, Samuel Jackson and Michael Caine to name a few. Looks like a 007 meets Austin Powers film but my thoughts are mixed on this one.


Here is my top 10:



o Enemy - A psychological thriller starring Jake Gyllenhaal involving a man seeing his own doppelganger. Gyllenhaal has just been hitting well over his career and coming off the back of Nightcrawler has my expectation high.


o American Sniper - A Clint Eastwood directed film on the true story of Chris Kyle, with over a 150 confirmed sniper kills. Bradley Cooper is just awesome.


o Ex Machina - Great cast, ambitious idea and generally up my street. I am slightly trepidatious for this film as ‘Transcendence’ was a flop and had a somewhat similar region of science fiction. However this film stars two of the greatest growing actors of our time and who will both star in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson.


o Inherent Vice - I haven't looked too much into this film but all I can say is this film has a solid cast with one of the greatest character actors of our age in Joaquin Phoenix. The trailer looks funny, funky and fuelled by the 70’s to no end. Cannot wait.




o The Theory of Everything - Future stars in the form of Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, in a biopic of the life of Stephen Hawking. More importantly another story about scientists, which can only be a good thing.


o Wild - Reese Witherspoon has always been a good actress to me, but big Oscar buzz behind her performance, reminds me of a film I saw earlier this year, Tracks.


o Whiplash - Trailer looks intense and very thought provoking. I’ve heard good/great things about this. Looks promising.


o A Most Violent Year - Just something that has been in the trailers before films in the last few weeks, it just looks great. A real crime, mob-esque thriller with Oscar Isaac (again) and Jessica Chastain who in my Interstellar Review, I praised.


o Foxcatcher - ‘Career transforming for Channing Tatum and Steve Carell’ has featured in almost all the reviews I’ve encountered. It looks chilling and definitely something to watch for everyone, whether you like sport or not. Check the trailer out.

o Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance) - Simply put, I don’t think I have ever wanted to watch a movie more… The cast is inspired with Keaton playing some kind of parody of himself, Zach Galifianakis and an array of other stars. Keaton is a favourite for the Oscar race for leading man. It has also been complimented for its style and editing. My expectations are high and so should yours… PLEASE WATCH!!!

Cheers


Comments