Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Why we should have high expectations.

Hi,


As this is my first 'proper' blog entry, I wanted a topical subject and one that will be something I can get my teeth into. It probably comes as no surprise then, that I have chosen to talk about Star Wars with all the buzz and hype behind it. Buzz that has been building and has had a small climax with the teaser. In this entry I will talk about the people involved, mainly on the cast but obviously on what the teaser trailer gives us.
Just to warn those reading, I may give spoilers that haven't been confirmed and have only been guessed... As they're rumoured, it could that mean I am wrong but paints some kind of picture, so if you wish to stay away from these, then I suggest you don't read any further.


I feel that it is important to say that although I consider myself a fan of Star Wars and enjoy Science fiction/fantasy type films in general, I find it hard to compare myself to truer fans and to some extent previous generations who watched these as kids, as they have a nostalgic feeling that eludes me. I guess the first point of discussion would be the title of the film. The Force Awakens is perfect for me, it implies something obviously key, a fresh start. Not a complete restart but a new era after a time with the force being somewhat dormant. I believe the film is set 30 years after the fall of the empire and we could expect the 'awakening' of the force in a few of the new cast members.


This leads me onto the cast and director. This is where I think we can raise our expectations considerably, as the group seems very relevant and highly talented. I will not need to convince anyone of the returning cast being talented and living legends in their own right. Hamill, Fisher and Ford will be great in whatever capacity they have, but I wouldn't expect huge amounts from them as I again reiterate, this feels fresh. JJ Abrams is an ideal candidate and was chosen for that reason. He has had great success and recognition for his rejuvenated Star Trek movies and no one else to date can say they have directed films in both worlds. I believe he has also been quoted as saying he preferred Star Wars, which further excites me as he is obviously a fan and of that previous generation I mentioned earlier.


The main cast excluding the returning members is a who's who of up and coming actors or of world class actors. Andy Serkis has been absolutely killing it with films like Rise/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes as Caesar. His other motion capture work in the form of Gollum has been ground breaking, the man is a genius in my opinion. Gwendoline Christie has been sensational in her role in Game of Thrones as Brienne.
Daisy Ridley isn't very well known but because of that I can't really form an opinion on whether she is a high quality actress, however you can be assured the production team wouldn't cast someone without the needed acting chops. Another actress in this film is Lupita Nyongo, the sensation in '12 years a slave'. She will be great in whatever role, all I can say about her is that after I saw her in that role, I iMDB'd her straight away...The big guns of this film in my opinion lie with Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, John Boyega and Adam Driver. If rumours and predictions are to be believed and I think they hold some weight here, then Isaac, Boyega and Driver will be important characters in the 7th instalment. I don't know who Gleeson will be playing but all these actors having been ABSOLUTELY smashing their performances out of the park in recent films. Gleeson and Isaac will both star in Ex-Machina in the new year, something that I would keep an eye on. Driver and Isaac were brilliant, Isaac more so in this years 'Inside Llewyn Davis'. Isaac has had a string of great performances and will also be playing the main villain, Apocalypse in the new X-Men film. His future is looking bright and I could literally rally off the other great films these actors have been in over the last few years but it is just part of their trajectories towards this, and if form is anything to go by, then this film will be out of this world.


I could spent another 3 paragraphs talking about the new TEASER trailer, going scene by scene analysing every detail but to put it simply, this was released to wet the appetite (I hate that phrase but due to lack of a better one) its' sole purpose was to tease, not to reveal anything too important. To keep some bigger characters, production points and visuals for the proper trailer, I mean the look of the original cast and maybe some more spoiler-y details as to where these new films will be going.


The teasers big discussion point is probably the lightsaber, obviously there seems to be some practicality issues but I would say, hold back the criticism until we see it being used, then we can rip it to shreds if it is stupid...


Overall the cast, director and teaser have made me the vessel for all the hype, I'm really getting excited for the new instalment, in what is probably the greatest sci-if story ever told.


Thanks and remember, live long and prosper...... 

Comments